Meal Prep for Seniors: Tips and Ideas
If you’re someone who handles meal prep for seniors you know that it can save an aging loved one time and money, and give you the peace of mind knowing your loved one is eating nutritiously. Cooking your loved one’s meals ahead of time ensures they have enough prepared food to last a few days without you needing to take on the task of cooking for your loved one each day.
Meal prepping also makes it easy for your loved one to eat. Some seniors may choose to skip a meal because they are too tired to cook, or because they are unsure of what to make or how long it might take to complete.
Here are some tips to make meal prep for your aging loved one easy:
- Plan for a couple of days at a time and not any longer than one week in advance so that the food doesn’t spoil.
- Pick recipes that use similar ingredients for ease of shopping.
- Write down your shopping list before heading to the store so you don’t forget any ingredients.
- Allow your loved one to lend a helping hand if he or she wants to feel involved.
- Give your loved one meal options so that he or she doesn’t feel like you are forcing food that isn’t palatable.
Here are some meal ideas that are easy to make and can be gentle on the digestive system:
- Hard-boiled Eggs
- Egg and Avocado Toast
- Fruit and vegetable smoothies
- Apple Cinnamon Baked Toast
- Slow Cooker Fajitas
- Paninis and Sandwiches
- Beef and Barley soup
- One-pot vegetarian spaghetti
- Baked chicken or salmon
- Shrimp fried rice
Most recipes that are geared towards older adults come with options that you can add or subtract such as frittatas. While the egg-based meal is very simple to make, you can encourage your loved one to add meats, fruits, and vegetables to ensure that not only the meal is balanced but also enjoyable.
Assisting with meal prep doesn’t just ensure your loved one has nutritious meals easily available. You are also helping to maintain a safe and clean kitchen environment.
If you are feeling overwhelmed and could use assistance, Caring Home Care can connect you with a certified, professional in-home caregiver that can not only handle meal prep but other daily living activities such as help with grooming, dressing, bathing, cleaning, and more.